- What's Happening
- Hotels & Travel
- In The Exhibit Hall
- General Info
- Making Your Case To Attend
Don't see your question answered below? Use the Contact Us form to ask it.
- Do I need to be a member of ALA to register for an exhibits-only pass?
No, you do not need to be a member of ALA in order to register for an exhibits-only pass.
- Do I need to be a member of ALA to register for full Midwinter Meeting Registration?
No, you may register and attend the conference at the non-member rate. To learn more about membership, go to www.ala.org/membership/joinala.
- What's included with a full Midwinter Meeting Registration?
Included in the full registration package, you get access to the exhibit hall, discussion groups and meetings, Opening and Closing General Sessions, ALA President's Program, Auditorium Speaker Series, Job Placement Center and much more.
- Who should attend?
Librarians, authors, publishers, business professionals, educators and students--anyone who is passionate about books, libraries, and eager to learn and shape the future of the industry.
- What forms of payment does the onsite registration desk accept?
Onsite we accept cash, check, MasterCard, Visa, and American Express.
- How do I register for a preconference/institute?
To register for a preconference/institute, you can include it with your initial registration or add it later using the unique link in your email confirmation. If you don't have your registration confirmation handy, you can request a copy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the dress code for the Midwinter Meeting?
- Do you offer childcare at Midwinter Meeting?
ALA will reimburse the charges expended on childcare in the amount of $25 per day, per child to a maximum of $50 per day, per family to any fully registered parent for each day of the Midwinter Meeting week, January 24-28, 2014. You must provide a receipt for childcare. This covers only childcare in the parent’s hotel room or other residence in the meeting city (Philadelphia) and does not include charges for children’s food and transportation or gratuities and transportation for the sitter. ALA will not reimburse childcare expenses to attendees who live within the Philadelphia area that would be paid to the regular provider whether the parent was attending the Midwinter Meeting or not. Parents may contact their hotel childcare center/babysitting service where it is available or select one from the phone book. Reimbursement forms are available at the ALA Registration Desk and must be signed by the individual performing the childcare services and presented by the parent to the Registration Desk Manager by Monday, January 27, 2014. Please note that all reimbursement will be mailed out to the attendee the week following the conference.
- Will there be any form of accommodations for attendees that require accessibility?
ALA is pleased to offer scooters and/or interpreter services for attendees at Midwinter Meeting. Please contact Yvonne McLean at email@example.com for details.
- Will there be a coat check onsite?
Yes, a coat check will be available near the shuttle busses and is $2 per item. Hours are: Friday 7:30am-7:30pm, Saturday/Sunday/Monday 7:30am-6:00pm, and Tuesday 8:00am-2:00pm.
- Does ALA have a code of conduct for its conferences?
Yes, a Statement of Appropriate Conduct at ALA Conferences will be posted on each of ALA's conference websites.
- Is there an online version of the onsite Program Book?
Yes, please click on the links to download the Program Book PDF. Program Book Part 1. Program Book Part 2
- Can non-committee members attend committee meetings?
Yes, anyone who is registered for the day of a committee meeting or for the full conference can attend any meeting that is not marked as "closed."
- Can non-ALA members attend committee meetings?
Yes, non-ALA members who are registered for the day of a committee meeting or for the full conference can attend any meeting not marked as "closed."
- Can I attend the ALA Awards Ceremonies if I have an Exhibits-Only pass?
No, only attendees registered for the conference itself can attend the ALA Awards Ceremonies.
In the Exhibits
- What is ALA's policy regarding children on the Exhibit Floor?
Strollers are permitted on the exhibit floor but only if there is a child in them at all times. Unescorted children are not permitted on the exhibit floor. Children under the age of five must be under control at all times (stroller, pack, etc.). Any child over the age of five must have an Exhibits Only badge to be admitted to the exhibit floor. These badges are available at onsite registration for $35. An adult must accompany all children under the age of 16.
- What is ALA's policy regarding wheeled devices on the Exhibit Floor?
Strollers and scooters are permitted on the exhibit floor as long as they are in use at all times. Wheeled carts, however, are not permitted at any time.
- Can Exhibits-Only registrants attend author signings?
Any Exhibits-Only registrant can attend any author signing in the Exhibit Hall on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.
- What is the ALA Midwinter Meeting?
The American Library Association (ALA) hold an annual business meeting known as the ALA Midwinter Meeting. Generally held in January, the conference draws more than 10,000 leaders in the library and information industry for some 2,500 meetings and events. Some 450 exhibits feature the latest in books, videos, computers and other materials available to today's libraries and their users.
- What is the weather like in Philadelphia in January?
On average, January is one of the coolest weather months in Philadelphia. Average high temperature is 39 degrees with an average low temperature of 26 degrees.
- Does ALA provide any convention center travel assistance?
ALA provides shuttle services to/from the Pennsylvania Convention Center for the our Midwinter Meeting registrants. Click here to access the Shuttle Schedule
- Are any volunteer opportunities available at the 2014 ALA Midwinter Meeting?
Yes, several volunteer opportunities are available and filled on a first come first serve basis. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I need a letter of attendance for my records. Please access the standard letter of attendance here.